Monday, 14 August 2017

A Weekend Intentionally Slow

Dh was away for the weekend. He got up at 4am on Saturday morning and started getting ready. At 4:45am I got up and made him French toast and an earl grey tea. At 6am he said goodbye and left, so I put the kettle on, made myself a coffee and sat down in the lounge with a book for half an hour. It was lovely just sitting in the quiet dawn with a book and it is something I do most mornings, but that is a post for another day.

Having the weekend to myself and with so much going on for the next few weeks especially at weekends I wanted to spend this weekend at a slow pace. Not, not doing anything as I had much I wanted to accomplish, but spending my time mindfully, enjoying every aspect of all of the homely tasks I set out to do, spending quiet time reflecting, reading and just enjoying my own company. Sometimes the weekends seem to go by in the blink of an eye and I wanted to embrace this alone time I had, and savour every minute of it. Here's what I got up to.

On Satirday I cycled to the allotment, did some work then went for a country cycle. This path was really long and I had to cycle into really strong wind the whole way!
The first of the runner beans from the plot. I cut my finger using my runner bean slicer :( I blanched them and popped them in the freezer.
Lovely looking elderberries I saw on my walk I went on Sunday
This meal is made mostly from allotment produce including beetroot, peas, courgette and spring onion.
I walked to a local cafe and had this lovely lunch. It was made with local produce and decorated with edible flowers. It was really cheap too and I sat for an hour and read with a coffee before walking back in the sunshine :) 

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect weekend.Life is so fast these days it is nice to make the time to just enjoy being in the moment.
    Hope your week isn't too hectic Gillie.
    Tara uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara, we're seeing friends then have a show this weekend so it's busy, but good busy :)

      Delete
  2. Sometimes it's nice to have quiet time by yourself. Your allotment produce looks amazing! Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. We've brought some to share with friends too. Nice to see it going to a good home too :)

      Delete
  3. Hello, I just want to let you know that I really enjoy your blog posts- relaxing and inspiring at the same time.
    A question though- your "allotment"- does that mean your garden, and is it not at the same location as your house? Is it in what I would call a community garden? I am American, so not sure about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan. We live in a maisonette. That is the top floor of a house that has been turned into a flat. We have a small decked area but not a garden. So we have an allotment instead. Every town or parish in Britain has to provide allotments for its residents. It is an area of land that has been divided into plots for local residents to grow fruit, veg or flowers. You can rent the plot for a modest price, ours is £30 a year. They have become very popular in the last few years with most sites having waiting lists. The sites can be small like ours, which only has 10 plots, or large like our site we had when we lived in Surrey, which had 150 plots!! Hope that helps a bit :)

      Delete
    2. It sure does explain things- thanks! We did the same gardening thing a few years ago- we had one and then two community garden plots/ allotments for a very nominal fee on the outskirts of our small city. We now have a house with a yard and room to grow our veggies and flowers.
      I love the term "maisonette".
      I look forward to reading about your autumn adventures.

      Delete
    3. I'm looking forward to when we have our own garden too when we move next year :)

      Delete
  4. This is not anything to do with this post. I'm reading though your old posts as I've only just discovered your blog And have just noticed that you did Ilona's 1000mile challenge last year. So did I and I found it an amazing way of keeping fit and feeling alive even on the nastiest days.
    I wondered whether you are doing it again this year? We are and got thoroughly soaked yesterday but oh how righteous we felt! Our local bus driver slowed down to offer us a lift at one stage!
    Am really enjoying your blog. Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue, yes I did do Ilonas 1000 mile challenge and really enjoyed it. I didn't do it again this year but, you must be psychic, because in the last week I realised how much I was missing the challenge so Iset myself a personal challenge of doing 500 miles before the end of the year. I am enjoying seeing the numbers back on the calendar and it's so strange you commented about it now! How many miles are you on? I did 7 on monday and, like you, felt very virtuous. I like having a challenge and will post on it soon! Thanks for your lovely comment. X

      Delete
    2. I'm on just over 700. We are hoping to reach 1200 this year but will see how it goes.
      Why don't you join Ilona's list now?
      She'd be thrilled to welcome you back ( I think it would be a real encouragement to her) and it's only a matter of recording your mileage for yourself, she keeps stressing it's not a competition.
      I know that I would not keep going if I didn't have something semi official to aim at.
      One other comment.....you are setting yourself a very high target to reach 500 by the end of the year!
      Unless you'd done quite a lot already that's more than 100 a month.
      Look forward to hearing how you get on. Thanks for answering my comment. It's so encouraging. Sue

      Delete
    3. I know! Its a big target and I might not make it, especially as we're approaching autumn but I like a challenge and I know either way it will get me out and about more. I will definately join Ilonas 2018 challenge :) well done on reaching 700- that's fantastic!

      Delete
  5. Thanks, we just hope we can keep going through the colder months! Sue

    ReplyDelete