Sunday, 2 July 2017

Homemaking Sunday

I had a lovely couple of days with friends but today was a day spent mostly at home. I LOVE days like today, nice weather, pottering round the house. The term 'homemaking' I believe is tradionally an American word but I love it. It's a beautiful word that describes a lot of what I do perfectly.

We got up about 7am and I made muesli from scratch including  own blackcurrants, this is our breakfast most days at the moment. I then read the last of my second Bookbarn book. I tried to finish it last night in bed but couldn't stay awake! 

It looked like it was going to be another warm one so I was at the allotment by 8:30am. I harvested more beetroot, courgette, peas, blackcurrants, rhubarb  and spring onions. I sowed more peas and beetroot and did a bit of weeding.
When I got back I stewed the rhubarb, washed the blackcurrants which were all set in the freezer, the rest was set aside for lunch. 

Lunch was another frittata with salad and it was delicious.

I started a rag rug today. I haven't made one before but I had some re-enactment sand bag canvas a large needle and an old T-shirt so I decided to give it a go to see how I got on. As it turns out it is working quite well ans I really enjoyed it. I watched The Victorian Farm at the same time. I love all of the series the team did and watch them a lot. I had to hem the edge of the canvas as it was quite frayed but once I got going with cutting up the T-shirt I thoroughly enjoyed it and spent a few hours on and off doing it and it seems to be going pretty well :)

We dont have a drive or large front to our house. It pretty much goes straight onto the road and it has been needing a clean, freshen up and weed for a while now so we took the opportunity to get out there and give it a spruce up. It didn't take long once we got going and it looks so much better now it's been done. Dh swept the front and brushed off the cobwebs and spiders and I weeded, cleared the drain area and bagged up the leaves.

I did a couple of loads of washing, but I think I'll leave the ironing until tomorrow. I'm enjoying rag rugging too much! Dh has spent most the day working but he's spied the rhubarb coming in and had already asked if we have any custard powder so I think Il be doing rhubarb and custard later. We will do quiet time about 8pm then probably go to bed and read.

Hope everyone is enjoying the good weather :)


I hemmed the canvas then started rag rugging using an old T-Shirt.
Alpine Strawberries. I didn't plant these they just appeared so I've been leaving them to do their own thing.

Rag Rugging. I've never done it before so this is an experiment. 

4 comments:

  1. I love the words homemaking/homemaker, this is what I consider myself to be. Sounds like you have had a lovely day pottering around, enjoy your evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you refer to as homemaking, too. I call it housekeeping as we are keeping our house (aka home) as lovely as it can be, clean, tidy, polished, welcoming. I love a day when I can just tidy, arrange flowers, etc.
    Margaret P
    www.margaretpowling.com

    ReplyDelete