Friday, 23 June 2017

Why I Quit Facebook

You might have noticed I've been posting more recently. The reason for this is because I have been spending a bit of time reflecting on what I want out of life and how I want to be spending my time. Life feels like it goes by so fast and I don't want to spend any of it 'zoned out', which is certainly easy to do after a 10-12 hour work day. I do feel sometimes it is easy to get caught up in just plodding along, and I don't want that. I love life, I feel it is a gift and I don't want to waste any of it.

In light of that I have been and will continue to make changes, some small, some hopefully will be bigger, changes to make sure my life is how I want it: full of joyful experiences, helping others and really having a life full of texture and warmth. Does that make sense? I'm not saying I didn't before, I'm saying I feel more conscious now that I want to be more mindful of what I'm doing and how I am spending my time.

I've become very aware of what I watch on television. I am guilty of just 'having it on' in the background, anything really. Now, I try and make sure I watch historical programs or something I really want to watch and then turn it off the rest of the time. I try not to watch anything I've seen before unlesss I really enjoyed ot the first time. I now listen to a lot of audio books instead. I find them much less distracting but still enjoyable for when I want a bit of company. I enjoy Bill Bryson and Adrian Mole by Sue Townsend.

Coming back to my blog title, recently I also quit Facebook. I didn't have loads of friends, I only have people on their I actually know. I only got it to keep up to date with my sister who lives in Oz, however as she is now on Wattsapp I can keep in touch that way. I find it is so easy to just check FB and before I know it I'm scrolling looking at things, at videos I would never have looked at if they haven't been 'there'. Some people put up political views or rants on FB which I dont think is really necessary. I always think Facebook should be for fun and keeping in touch but it seems that it is used as platforms for all sorts of other things now. That is why I deactivated my account, maybe not forever, but it is certainly the right decision for me now. My 'real' friends can keep in touch by letter, text or phone and other people probably won't even notice I'm gone.

In light of that, I have been reading more blogs and would like to update my blogroll on my side bar. If you read or write a great blog you think I might enjoy, please post it below so I can have a look. Thanks for reading this, aby comments or thoughts much appreciated.  Xx

8 comments:

  1. I think you have made some very smart decisions for your age. I'm in my sixties and it wasn't until recently that I decided not to waste my time on things that don't help me. Luckily, I am not on Facebook but my children are and I understand how it works. In blogland, there are so many blogs out there where I can learn something that can be useful to me. You have motivated me to be more aware of each hour of the day. Thank you! And, I hope you enjoy your weekend, too. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat :) I am working again this morning :/ but then I am off to my allotment :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Gillie, I am trying to spend less time online, I love reading blogs though, I only use facebook as an entry route for competitions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simple Living :) I think things like Facebook can be quite addictive for some (read 'me'). I think a clean break has definately been beneficial for me. I love reading blogs too :)

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to find some others who don't think Facebook is a necessity for living : )
    I never got on it and refuse to get on it, much to my children's dismay. They have to remember to send me things and tell me things separately, oh my. Sometimes I am out of the loop, but I find things out eventually.
    I do love reading blogs, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about being out the loop but as long as I keep in touch with my sister, I'm not too worried really. I feel real friends will keep in touch, I'm always happy to make the effort, and I won't worry too much about everyone else. Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  4. I know what you mean about Facebook, I've sat down many a time to answer a private message from my son only to find myself still scrolling through things an hour later. What wasted time !! I think it's time I had a weeding out session on there myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I found the same. I have no self control so am finding cold turkey much easier :)

      Delete