Wednesday, 28 June 2017

Walkies Anyone??

Hello! Today I want to share with you a charity that I think is just Fab. The reason I want to tell you about them is that loads of people I speak to have never heard of them. I think that's because they put their money into helping animals and not advertising- just as it should be! 

The Charity is Called The Cinnamon Trust, and to put it in a nutshell, they help elderly and terminally ill people care for their pets, mainly by assisting with dog walking. Volunteers can also provide short term fostering for people while they are in hospital, as well as forever homes (long term fostering) for people who have died and left their pet to the trust. But the trust helps in other ways as well, sometimes I see them advertising for help with cats, transporting pets to their new or temporary homes, as well as assisting in other ways. 

I started walking for an elderly lady just once a week for two dogs for about 30-40 minutes. You can choose how many walks you want to do and how many people you want to walk for, from once a week to several times a week. I now walk for two elderly ladies once a week. The ladies are lovely and very grateful for the time I can give. I'm always offered a cup of tea after if I have the time and I love a bit of a chat if I'm not in a rush to head off.

The trust will pay for petrol expenses for both dog walking and if you are helping to transport pets. If you are fostering pets either long or short term they will pay (authorised) vets bills for the rest of the pets life. This means that people who are worried about the medical cost of owning a pet or taking on an older pet can do so, safe in the knowledge that the trust is there to meet these expenses. They will also pay for 4 weeks annual pet sitting for fosterers pets for when they go away on holiday.

I like to think of it as we provide the love and time, and they take care of the rest. I always find them extremely helpful to deal with.

If you are interested in becoming a volunteer dog walker just go on their website and fill out a form. You need a photograph and a couple of referees which I think is such a good thing, as one of my ladies is particularly vulnerable and I think it is good the trust is checking out volunteers correctly. Once you have your ID you will be assigned a local dog and you will liase with it's owner and arrange a regular day and time for walking. If you are interested in offering a short or long term (forever) home then just ring them and they will be happy to have a chat and see what sort of home you can offer. I was assigned Burt based on the home we could offer and that was fine, I could never have chosen one pet over another anyway!

If you or know anyone that you think could help the Trust then get in touch. I have put links to their Facebook page and Website. They do have a map of where they are looking for walkers but I'm not sure it is always up to date so I would say fill out a form anyway and I'm sure they will contact you as soon as there is a walker required in your area.

If you have heard of the Trust or walk for them please comment below. I'd love to hear from anyone else that knows of them! I'm always massively pro-rescue and know there is loads of other Brilliant rescue centres and I salute them all. The Cinnamon Trust gets a special mention today because I volunteer for them and want to raise awareness of this little known charity. 

Go and like their Facebook page to get updates on dogs needing an extra walk (unless you're like me and not on Facebook!) 

Burt and I, today, would like to salute anyone with a rescue pet :)

http://www.cinnamon.org.uk/

https://en-gb.facebook.com/TheCinnamonTrust/


Burt, our Cinnamon Cat 'helping' DH with his work ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment