Tuesday, 9 February 2016

Trying To Lead A Simple Life . . .

I was thinking this evening about doing blog post about what I've been doing this evening. I've been busy. I feel like I'm always saying I'm busy! Dh had a really bad headache and was laying down in the lounge with a duvet and hot water bottle. I decided to get a lot of jobs done as I  not too tired after work (10 hours today). As I was working, cooked dinner, rice noodles, fish and spring greens with a white sauce. While i was making this I stripped the bedding and got it soaking in the bath as the washing machine is still out of commission. I then got a parcel ready to post, replied to a couple of emails, medicated Burt (he has a toothache and is in for dental work next week). I started thinking about the difference between our life and that of people we know.

I find my life very fulfilling. It's not perfect, is anyone's? But I love it and I like that I try to be a little bit different and do things the way we like even though it may not be conventional or always easy. It's taken a while to get here. I was a bit wild in my late teens/early twenties.

At the moment we are urgently saving  £5k to have work done on the outside of our home. Living on yellow tickets for groceries goes a small way to helping us do that. It's not always easy, and meals sometimes have to be creative ( thank goodness my husband is happy to eat anything he does not have to cook himself!) but we save a large amount of money doing this. Also, our washing machine is on strike so I am making do with a bucket and plunger or the bath for larger items. I quite like doing this, it's only my work uniforms that can sometimes be tricky to get to washing machine standard but at the moment I'm fine to make do. Although drying things is hard at this time of year anyway, let along with hand wrung items! I shampoo'd the carpet at the weekend and (while I don't like to gloat) it's come up really well and cost about  10p in carpet cleaner and the elbow grease was free! compared to ££ to hire carpet cleaner. I plan to make my way around the house as the weather gets better.

It's been hard to get up the allotment recently. For anyone reading this outside the UK, we have had rain and wind and generally horrible weather for weeks now. As soon as it gets better I will need to get down there and crack on.

I feel like I've rambled a bit. I guess what I wanted to say is that a traditional or simple life is not always an easy or quiet life. Our life is busy, we do relax and have time out but the easier thing to do would be to fix the washing machine on credit and take out a loan for the roof. It would be easier to buy veggies and fruit all year round rather than have an allotment. But for us that isn't satisfying and I think a happy life is one that is fulfilling. For everyone that means something different and I think that changes as life goes on. In ten years time things may be different, who knows?

I hope this reads ok. I've ummed and ahhd about posting it as i don't want to come across as a bit.  . . .I'm not sure of the word! I wanted to post a few more thoughts but it's late now and I want to read so I'll say goodnight. The wind is howling here so I've put the washing out. Who knows if it will be there in the morning? !

Nighty night x

10 comments:

  1. I think you do brilliantly Gillie.
    Your work ethic is amazing, I love to read all your achievements. Just shows what can be done with focus and positivity and the wonderful thing is, that you and your husband enjoy everything you do. That is so inspirational.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Pam in TX.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. I've just come back from a 7 mile walk. I'm doing dinner now and then I am definitely sitting down!

      Delete
  2. About 8 months before our debt free date our washing machine stopped working, so for those months I hand washed virtually everything. Thankfully we lived not too far away from MIL so we occasionally washed larger things in her machine.

    We're also eating on the cheap this month so we have enough cash to pay for our new roof, and I brought our carpets back to life on my hands and knees rather than hire a carpet cleaner. You're not alone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks thrifty. I find jeans and bedding the hardest. I don't have any family nearby. Sunny today though so everything dried!

      Delete
  3. I use my salad spinner to get things more dry before hanging indoors, works really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think about that! I don't have one but if I see one in a charity shop i may invest :)

      Delete
  4. oh i remember those days well, for the better part of last year i hand washed everything, we did the same with a bucket and plunger. the bedding really is the worst isn't it? what i did was hang them up on the line still dripping and then wring them out that way, it's much easier, especially if you have strong hurricane pegs like we have :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bedding is a nightmare. It dried yesterday in our first day of sun for ages. I was ridiculously excited by this when i got home from work!

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed reading this post and getting an insight in to what a simple life means to you. Let's hope for better weather soon!

    ReplyDelete