Sunday, 14 February 2016

A Vintage House Day (Meant To Post Yesterday)

Dh has been out for the day today and had taken the car. I thought I would be able to get out and do some walking but, on waking up to wind and rain and knew the chances would be slim. I don't enjoy walking in really bad weather as it is so hard for me to dry wet weather gear.

Dh left at 7:15am so after making him coffee and toast I decided to have a practical day with lots of sorting out, reading and food preparation and I wanted to feel lovely whilst having  a house day so I put my hair up in Victory Rolls, put a smart dress on along with thermal tights and set about making the most of a wet Saturday indoors.

I started by putting a load of washing in to soak. The washing machine is still decommissioned. I was really pleased with the way dh's white shirt came up with a hand wash, especially cuffs and collars :)
Next it was Burts litter tray that  needed attention and I combined that with a bathroom clean.

After that it was  a stop for a cup of tea and I read some of my new magazine! Although one of the problems of buying old magazines is that if there are three part stories, I only get to read the first or mid part and never find out what happens! The one in my Red Letter magazine was really good and I can't find the next issue!!

Burt was then sick in the lounge so I took the opportunity to shampoo half the carpet after hoovering.

I sorted the food we have in. We have a load of plums I was going to freeze but after trying one, they were so delicious I know dh and I will get through them before they go off so I left them. I put  a veggie soup on in thr slow cooker which will be portioned and frozen for work lunches. I also had 3 bags of parsnips that needed something doing to them. I used one bag in the soup, then peeled and chopped the rest into chips and popped them in the freezer.

Lunch was scrambled egg on toast with a side salad and was lovely. I also cracked myself a few Brazil nuts.

There was a break in the weather in the afternoon so I whizzed up the lane and back which was 2 miles. The rest of the afternoon was much more leisurely and when dh came back we had a game of rummy (I won!).

For dinner we had sausage and noodles with veggies. It was a really nice day, despite the weather and I am itching to get up the allotment!

The dress I wore, modern, but the fit is flattering


9 comments:

  1. I love how you dressed up just for staying home, it gives you that feel good factor before you start the day. I love 1940s style and feel quite glamourous if I wear a pretty dress and my bright red lippy :-) last year I made myself a wraparound pinny from a charity shop brand new cotton sheet :-). Your soup looks deelish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Gillie,i especially love these blog posts of a day in your life.I was going to ask you if you dress in a vintage style but you have answered that in your post.my staple dress code for everyday is avintage style dress cute little cardie and a pair of vintage style brogues along with my trusty vintage clasp handbag.
    you sound like you really enjoy and make the most of your weekends.
    Tara uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dress up too when I am at home, somehow it puts me in the right frame of mind for doing the housework. Would love to have seen your victory rolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it puts me in a better frame of mind too :)

      Delete
  4. I was going to say that too about the victory rolls.
    I think its great that you really enjoy your days off and use the time so well.
    Thank you for sharing your day with us, it is so interesting.
    Pam in TX.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. I can't wait for better weather so we can get out and have adventures :)

      Delete
  5. Hi I like your dress looks nice love the 1930s and 40s
    That plate of dinner looks very yummy.
    All the best to you
    Sheree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello. I miss reading your blog posts. Pat

    ReplyDelete