Thursday, 11 February 2016

A Calm Start To The Day

Dh and I both work full time. Most mornings I need to leave the house at 7:30am, sometimes a bit later. We usually try and get up nice and early so we don't have to rush. 

When the alarm goes off in the morning. Dh turns it off and I turn on the lamp in the bedroom. We then get up, dh gets himself sorted, makes the bed then usually goes straight to his office to work.

I like to try and be calm and quiet in the morning. For me, it starts the day off right and lets me collect my thoughts. I have a busy and sometimes stressful job so I enjoy a quiet time before the day starts in earnest. During the winter months i only have lamps on in the mornings to provide  a gentler light that is easier on the eyes. Sometimes, if I don't have the lamps on I will put the hall light on and let the residual light lights every room a little. I don't have the tv or the radio on in the mornings. At the weekend or if I'm working late occasionally Il put it on radio 4 late morning but never first thing.

I make breakfast and sort lunches for us both and make us both a proper coffee, our treat to start the day:) Dh had breakfast in his office so I go somewhere quiet to eat, usually with a book or 1940s magazine if there's time. In the summer if I'm not in a rush I'll eat on the decking outside.

I always try and leave a tidy house. I'm more of a morning person so it's easier for me to get jobs done early so if I don't feel like much after work I don't have to force myself and can just relax.

Today I have woken up to a misty frozen fog! My washing outside is frozen solid. Dh and I have just had honey toast and a coffee and I'm about to start the ironing. I work late today so I'll get everywhere spick and span this morning, go for a walk up the lane (2 miles) then come back before getting ready for work.

I'd love to hear how anyone else starts their day?
It's Freezing Today. Looks beautiful 


xGx

4 comments:

  1. Hi Gillie, I am enjoying reading your lovely blog posts. Our morning routine starts at 6a.m, when my husband brings me a cup of tea before he gets ready to go to work. I wake slowly and then start laying the table for breakfast. I love putting out pretty dishes etc and us all sitting together eating before school. I wake my children with a cup of tea, and then eventually we all get together for breakfast, except my husband who has to leave much earlier for work. I also try not to have the TV on, so that the atmosphere is calm before school. I am very lucky that a mini bus comes to the house to pick up my children as we live on an island and transport is free. Looking forward to your next post. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's lovely you all eat at the table, maybe it's something dh and I Should do more. Thank you for taking the time to comment :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Gillie, I have just found your blog and have spent a very pleasant hour or so reading it from the beginning. You and your Dh seem to have a very similar mindset to my hubby and myself albeit that you are much younger! Hubby still works full time (he's 8 years younger than me) and has a 20 mile commute to work. As he starts work at 7 am he is up at 5.30 whilst I unashamedly continue to snooze! Once he goes downstairs he feeds Tigger our ginger cat then watches the news till it's time for him to leave. He never bothers with anything to eat or drink before he leaves for work. A few health problems have meant that I now work part time - currently 2 days a week. I'm a teacher so I also get nice long holidays. If I'm at work I tend to be getting up as hubby is leaving. I generally head straight into the bathroom - shower etc, then downstairs where I make myself a cup of coffee and some breakfast. Generally this is just some defrosted frozen berries and natural yogurt sweetened with a little stevia. (I have type 2 diabetes and am trying to lose weight or it would be honey!)I then indulge in 15 - 20 minutes reading - usually cookery books - before embarking on my 26 mile commute to work at 7.30. Days I'm not at work I usually just let myself wake naturally - usually around 8 am - then go downstairs in PJ's for a leisurely start to the day.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, thank you so much for your lovely comment and for reading my blog. My hubby is younger than me too, I don't think I know anyone else who's dh is younger. It doesn't seem very common. I'm planning on growing more berries at my allotment this year as we eat loads and freeze a lot too. I love them!

      Delete