Monday, 25 January 2016

Using Up What's Left

I stayed up far too late last night reading. I struggled to get up this morning! Dh was up at 6am this morning to go to work. 

Whenever he is up before me (which isn't that often) I tell him to put the kettle on. We have a whistling kettle so I know when the kettle starts to whistle I HAVE to get out of bed to stop it whistling! Then I'm up, and once I'm up, I'm fine :)

Finished work at 2pm then came home and had some lunch. I really wanted to finish the book I'm reading so sat down and read for a good hour. I sat at the table to read, I've started doing that recently when I read in the day. I find it easier to concentrate and less distracting.

I had some carrots I really wanted to use up, so I grated them and stir fried them with shallots and fresh basil. I cooked some rice and stirred it in. Dh had a salmon tart with his and i had mine on its own with  a sprinkling of cheese. I had some  apples on the turn so I stewed them with the last of the blackberries  (frozen).

Dh thinks he has fixed the washing machine so I will do a trial wash in the next day or so :)
This evening it will be a walk and shopping followed by an early night. Dh and I did play cards last night and after my terrible defeat last time I am pleased to say I won by a whisker!

6 comments:

  1. HI GILLIE I LOVE THE FLOWERS ON YOUR TABLE THEY LOOK VERY HOMELY.JUST A QUICK QUESTION ,WHEN YOU DO YOUR YELLOW STICKER SHOPPING WHAT TIME OF DAY DO YOU FIND IS BEST FOR TRACKING DOWN THOSE GREAT BARGINS YOU FIND?
    THANKYOU AND HAVE A GOOD WEEK
    TARA UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go about 8pm. It's a bit of a balancing act. If you go too early, the products arnt discounted much but if you leave it too late, there may be nothing left! Also, there seems to be no pattern as to the best time to go, Sundays and Mondays arnt great round here but apart from that, it's a bit hit and miss!!

      Delete
  2. Nice post thank you!
    Interested to know what card games you play.
    We have been playing a nightly game of scrabble lately, but it would be nice to have a change.
    Probably about time for a jigsaw too, we do two or three a year.
    Pam in TX.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We play Liverpool Rummy. I was taught it as a child. We also play Scrabble. I also used to play Crib with my Grandpa, but can't remember how to play it. Must look it up at some point. I go through Jigsaw phases, I'll do one or two big ones then have a break til I'm in the mood again :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Gillie,
    I wanted to ask where do you get your vintage books and magazines?
    Thank you.
    Pam in TX.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All sorts of places, second hand book shops, vintage fayres, Ebay (magazines), antique/vintage shops, I always keep an eye out :)

      Delete