Saturday, 9 January 2016

I Need Some Spirit Of The Blitz! :/

Ok. . . . Recently things have gotten a bit *blows raspberry* and I'm feeling a bit fed up. I want my blog to be real and not just a reflection on the good times, so I'm sitting here in a thick cardy with a scarf and hat on armed with a big coffee and am going to have  a massive rant to get it all off my chest (so sorry).

We live in a maisonette, and the owner of the other half always rented it out until recently and it was a nightmare getting him to agree to any external maintenance  so the outside is very rundown. Recently with all the rain (will it ever stop?) we realised the roof beams have slipped and our roof is leaking. The new owner wants to sort it out too ( thank goodness) as well as repair external walls and repaint and new gutters and fascias which should help with the smallish damp problem we're currently managing in the bedroom, but this is going to cost serious money, thousands, and we don't have it. We're going through our options now of how to get the money together. It will be amazing once it's done, but i have no idea how long we have to wait for the work to start, and how we are going to fund it. We might have to cancel our 2017 trip to visit my sister in Australia we've been saving for, and even then it won't be enough :(

Our car has also cost us  a small fortune recently, more than its worth really, reaching a new record of going to the garage for three separate problems within a week. It may have to be retired soon, but that's  a problem for  another day as we're not currently in a position to get a new one.
I'm going to be totally British now and say I'm sick of this weather! Round here it's rain, rain, rain, rain. It's cold and damp, our house is freezing and I can't dry any washing unless the dehumidifier is on, which is not cheap to run. Everywhere feels messy and unclean, which is not true but just reflects my mood. We have no central heating and there's no denying it- it's cold, not freezing but so damp it just feels miserable.

My work is ok but dh is struggling a bit with his and is feeling pretty frustrated at the moment too. Plus he's trying to sort out the roof problem and earn extra to help with everything.

We have plumbers bill expected at the end of the month for just over £100 for the emergency work to the kitchen sink which meant i couldn't use the washing machine or kitchen sink for a week over Christmas.
Burt was  sick all over the lounge tablecloth yesterday. I've washed it but it's pretty thick, so today I have to try and get it dry. Not  a massive problem but it gets to a point where everything feels like a big problem.
We wanted to go walking this weekend but it's so wet i can't bear to have any more wet coats and muddy wellies in the house.

I've been reading a Land Girls book recently and it's brilliant. So, right now I'm going to get up, get the house spick and span, do the ironing, get dh and go somewhere, anywhere to get out the house. Then tonight we're going to light the fire, get all our WW2 stuff out and try and forget our troubles!

Tomorrow is a new day!
Wish me luck.

These are the books i bought at  a second hand bookshop last weekend :)



16 comments:

  1. Love your spirit! Shame about all the things that have gone wrong. Keep chipper and good luck!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry things seem rather rubbish for you at the minute
    January being such a bleak month doesn't help.I hope things improve for you soon .
    I don't know whether you have seen it but there is a west end musical of from here to eternity.it is brilliant vintage clothes GIs catchty songs .its written by tim rice and stars Robert Lonsdale .I thoroughly recommend it.with your vintage and ww2 interest I thought you may enjoy it too.
    best wishes Tara uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara. I'll check that out. I enjoy musicals:)

      Delete
  3. I think it's always harder to stay positive when it'a so wet all the time. I know I'm certainly struggling at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's starting to flood this way again. The roads are very wet :/

      Delete
  4. sorry forgot to say its available on dvd but was on the west end stage a couple of years ago
    Tara UK

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry that you are so cold and feel rather down in the dumps.

    From your post I gather that their is a new owner of the other maisonette and that you are each responsible for 50% of repairs on the roof. If that is correct although it will be costly that is so much better than how the previous owner responded to the external work needed.

    Hopefully once you get out for a bit and then are able to light the fire you will be much warmer and you can get your tablecloth dry.

    Best wishes my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sandy. Yes, we are lucky that the new owner will pay half and wants to get it done. It just all seems a bit overwhelming at the moment. This is our first home and we're pretty green when it comes to everything that goes with it. It's such a steep learning curve when things go wrong.

      Delete
  6. Thank you blossom for your message :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear about your tribulations. We've just had the first of the el nino storms and had tons of rain. The last two days have been sunny; wish I could send you some. Being a homeowner is a great accomplishment but the downside is that there's always that unknown that may occur. I'm happy to hear that the new owner is willing to get the problems fixed. I hope you two can get a reliable, bonded contractor who will give you a written bid amount so there's no problem down the road. Also, have you thought about getting a line of credit on your home? I don't know if it's available where you are but it's something to think about. You might enjoy the post I recently wrote: http://lillymycat.blogspot.com/2016/01/money-matter.html It's the weekend so I hope you can put your feet up and rest a bit. Pat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're lucky our neighbour is a builder and has already done some v good work for us internally. We have our over payments we have made on our mortgage we can use to take a break in mortgage payments which we can use towards it but we will obviously lose the interest saved but to me this is like using savings and better than going into debt. I said to dh, there's no point in paying our mortgage off early if our home is falling down around our ears!

      Delete
  8. just found your blog after doing some blog hoping, i shall follow with interest, its easy to feel like everything gets on top of you especially with this weather, all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear of your problems. It is refreshing to read real life on a blog post. I cope with my daily problems by telling myself how people in the wartime coped with all the terrible things they went through. I put my lipstick on and get on with it, just like they did. Compared to them, I realise my problems are tiny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, I too try to think of people now and in times gone by that suffered much worse hardship than me. It's not always easy though.

      Delete