Saturday, 19 December 2015

DH's Grand Plan- We Need To Cut Our Expenses And We're Going To Make It Fun!



DH and I are fairly frugal in our ways. We don't have anything on HP and we save up for the things we need. We don't earn a lot of money and we live within our means. 

Recently however we've had some big expenses come in. The car had to go in on Friday and have it's exhaust done unexpectedly and it's got to go back on Monday to have a new Cam Belt (expensive). It's Christmas. We're not extravagant over Christmas but obviously there are added expenses that occur, especially as my sister is over from Australia., the petrol in visiting back and forth every weekend alone is enough to bump our monthly expenses up by about £100 over the next 6 weeks. 

My sister is coming to stay with us in early January before they go home. Our 'shoe-box' home is only just big enough for DH and myself so we cannot accomodate another 3! So we're renting a local cottage for 4 days so we can all stay in comfort. It is lovely and of course, our treat. My sister spoilt us rotten when we went over and I want to reciprocate now they're over. We have lots of things planned that will cost money as everything is indoors at this time of year really. They're 9 and 11 so we want to be 'doing' lots for them :) They're lovely. We have been saving but everything does seem to come along at once! 

DH wanted us to look and see where we could save money this month and the obvious answer was food. I love good food, but recently our food bills have been going up a bit *lot*, I don't even really know why, but DH has set me a challenge, to reduce our food bills as much as I can (I do most the shopping/cooking) by yellow ticket shopping.

I don't usually do much supermarket shopping, I'm not a big fan of them but I am fascinated with Ilonas blog and the discount shopping she does. So. . . . . since the 1st December we have ONLY been buying food items that are reduced in the supermarkets, that's it, nothing else. We've been using our reserves in the cupboad and buying lots of fresh produce, bread, fish and freezing it on day of purchase etc. I must admit it's become a bit addictive. I like the thought of saving food from landfill and also getting it at such a good price that I'm probably giving the supermarkets virtually nothing. I've made a little blog about it that will probably just be a short term thing to keep me focused. I will put the amount I spent, the amount it would have cost full price and what I'm doing with it. I don't want it to become part of this blog and I also have good news I think my photos will be back again this week as I have a new phone :)

The link to my blog, which I will start posting on soon is here

Photos are back! My mum gave me this tablecloth last weekend, it belonged to my Grandma:)

5 comments:

  1. I really like the idea of only buying reduced items from the supermarket and combining them with what you have in stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It feels like a scavenger hunt every time we shop :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Gillie, I'll be so interested to see how you get on. It is a bit addictive as you say. We have probably saved £100's over the year buying reduced items but some shops are better than others and some days are also better. Good luck! Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that. There seems to be no pattern to what days are better!

      Delete
    2. I've noticed that. There seems to be no pattern to what days are better!

      Delete