Monday, 14 September 2015

Back After A Break :)

Hello! I know, it's been ages but I've missed blogging and I have a week off this week so I thought I'd get back in the swing (!) of blogging again this week :)

While I've been gone have we turned our back on our love of vintage?  No! We're loving it even more, that's one of the reasons I haven't had time to blog.  

Since I last posted Dh and I have joined a local WW2 re-enactment group.  I am going to be 'joining' the ATS and hopefully doing wartime women proud by bringing the past to life. Because of this I have been reading like crazy. I have a little frugal trick I have for getting cheap books and supporting my local library in the process.  I find the books I want on Amazon as it's easier to read reviews and find books within certain genres etc, then I find and reserve it using my local library app, it gets sourced and delivered to my local library, usually within a couple of weeks for the princely sum of £1.

We're both very excited about the group. We went to Blunsdon At War this weekend in civvy 40s gear and it was brilliant. We camped over and it was freezing (almost!) but there was a 40s singer Jayne Darling performing to 'the troops' in the evening and she was Brilliant!  The atmosphere was great even if it was a bit chilly!

On other fronts the main thing that has changed is we are no longer rationing. I have PCOS and have always had skin problems but I found my cystic acne (I know, painful and looks awful) was getting worse and worse to the point the while lower half of my face looked so bad and was really painful. I couldn't work out why it was getting so bad. By process of elimination I have made it 90 percent better by cutting out soya (present in a lot of veggie foods and commercial breads), refined sugar  (heavily present within rations) and cutting right down on wheat and cows dairy (disclaimer: I am not a doctor,  please don't copy me without speaking to yours!). I have been veggie for many years but have recently introduced fish and very small amounts of local organic meats. I don't know how things will progress. We eat mostly food cooked from scratch and I hope to incorporate a lot of vintage recipes that match how I want to eat.

I am hoping to enrol in a dress making evening class starting in January so I can make my own vintage designs!

The allotment has given us a bountiful harvest although the weather seems to be rapidly turning so I'm not sure how well my squashes are going to do.

Hope everyone is well.

These are just some of the books in my reading pile.  The Unsung Heroines book I bought for £1 and it is really good: loads of pictures and is mostly comprised of memories from the women who were there.  It's a fascinating insight into women's role in the war.  The other two are library books I have yet to start. 

xGx

5 comments:

  1. Good to see you back. I'm really looking forward to hearing about your re-enactment events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Gillie:) The re-enactment group sounds heaps of fun, look forward to reading all about it and a few photos would be lovely as well. Have a wonderful week. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, the season is almost at an end now but we now have all winter to prepare for an exciting next year!

      Delete
  3. So delighted to see your return to blogging. We have missed you.
    Those WW2 events are wonderful, I would LOVE to be able to go, I will look forward to hearing your stories. How exciting to re-enact those times and lifestyle.
    I know Blunsdon quite well, I grew up in Swindon. I remember there is/was a motorcycle speedway there, happy memories as a teen going there on Saturday nights.
    Enjoy your week off, hope the weather improves.
    Pam in TX.xx

    ReplyDelete