Thursday, 2 July 2015

A Busy Few Days

It's been a really good but busy time here in the Vintage House. It started off on Sunday with Dh and I going to a free Vintage Military Vehicle display. It was raining but that was fine and it was really good. There were men and women dressed up in military uniforms. The women looked so smart!



We have changed to loose tea from tea bags and I love it! So much easier to make the most of our tea ration. I have been looking out for a tea strainer for a while and dh found me one for 99p in a charity shop, as before this I was using  a fine seive!



Yesterday evening we went to the allotment and did loads of harvesting.  We picked a pound of blackcurrants,  half a pound of strawberries a small amount of broad beans. When we got home I set us both up a little work station on trays and we sat in the lounge and dh podded the broad beans and topped the strawberries and I picked the blackcurrants off the stalks and sorted them. We did this while watching a 40s documentary. I then simmered the strawberries down with a little sugar, added some agar flakes (a veggie thickener), put it in a kilner jar and put it in the fridge once cooled.  It made a kind of soft jam and it's really nice!  

I don't start lunch til lunch time today so I got up early, did some washing. I've started hand washing at the moment which I'm enjoying. I then made up a barley stew and set it simmering on the stove.  After breakfast and a cup of tea I took some rhubarb and blackcurrants from our allotment and stewed them with some pears. Dh loves stewed fruit so I try and make batches regularly. I then made a one egg sponge using a Marguerite Patten wartime recipe.  Wartime cake portions I find are generally quite small due to rationing so instead of doing two sandwiches I did one and topped it with my jam recipe.  I don't like to blow my own trumpet often but it was really good! 



Hope you're having a good week.  Lounge photos coming soon :)

xGx

8 comments:

  1. Your day out looked fun, we love going to days like that.
    We use loose leaf tea too, I can make a huge pot & it keeps warm with a cosy.
    I love hearing about your produce, enjoy & we love wartime recipes too. Always trying to make the house keeping go a little further with having so many children.
    Loved the photo's of your kitchen, I tried to leave a comment but it just would not work for some reason.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. I saw an interview with Marguerite Patten recently and she seemed lovely. I've got a couple of her books.

      Delete
  2. Enjoy reading your blog. Are you using the same ration program that you set up before or are you using a new one? Good luck! Joan (USA)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan. Our rationing programme is being tweaked and I'm ironing out the creases as I wasn't very happy with some parts of it. Once it's sorted il do a big post on it :)

      Delete
  3. Your post today was so heartwarming. I would have loved during this time. As a result, I too love anything old. Your venture into rationing is very interesting. And the jam and cake sound so yummy. My best to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Dh has just come home now and had a slice with the stewed fruit. He's promised to make it last but I'm not sure he will!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely post, you made me want to step right in with you and join your lifestyle. Its nice that you and your husband have the same interest and mindset in vintage living.
    Something I would love to do but my husband would not enjoy it I fear.
    Your blog is so interesting to me, I can experience the vintage lifestyle through you. So thank you, very much.
    Looking forward to seeing your lounge.
    Pam in TX.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam for your lovely lovely comment. I read it when I woke up this morning and it was a lovely start to the day :)

      Delete