Saturday, 27 June 2015

Hello, Welcome To Our Home. Would You Like To Come In? - The Kitchen

I love our kitchen. The view out our kitchen window is one of the main reasons we bought our home.  The orchard outside has lambs, calves and their mums in May-October and I love watching them out the window.

Our kitchen probably looks fairly average but I think it's special by what it doesn't have, than by what it does.  We have very few mod cons. We have a cooker, a washing machine, a fridge freezer and a hand blender, and that's about it on the electrical front. We don't have a microwave, food processor, dishwasher, tumble dryer or any other kitchen appliances. I try and keep the kitchen as clutter free as possible. Dh hates the sides looking messy so he helps to keep things tidy. I have a hob top whistling kettle, which at the moment is a repro, but I have my eye out for a vintage original. The pics are a bit dark because it's sunny outside so I hope they're ok. 

When we moved in the kitchen had torn pink lino on the floor that was ripped into several pieces. We now have proper flooring down.



This is my Grandma's gorgeous Welsh dresser and one of my favourite pieces of furniture. 

The inside of the cupboards are pretty well organised.  I sort them out regularly. 

Burt is settling in well and enjoying the afternoon sunshine :)

In the long term I would love a Smeg fridge freezer as I love the look of them but our current one was free so I will run it until it needs retiring. How does our kitchen compare to yours?  

xGx

14 comments:

  1. Oooh! Your kitchen is fab. I would love to have that kind of space as I've got a teeny galley style kitchen.. I like to have nice neat cupboards too and you've reminded me that I need to tidy my food cupboard. Things get thrown in any old how. Not by me, of course. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Summerdays. I find my kitchen is a much nicer place to be when it's tidy and organised stacks of washing up waiting to be done puts me in a bad mood!

      Delete
  2. Your kitchen is very nice. I was surprised that you didn't have an electric kettle. Growing up in Suffolk I didn't know any one with a hob type kettle. I have one and like it although I do think the electric kettle was a bit faster.

    I do have a microwave and I do think they are marvelous for cooking crispy bacon. I often cook enough for two meals and they are really good for heating things back up. I remember my mum who had to keep my dad's dinner warm on the top of a saucepan with hot water. Bless her heart.

    Love your dresser is that a tea cosy with the black cat on it, top shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy. We changed to a hob top kettle a few years ago. The one we have now is repro but I'm looking for an original. It's definitely slower than an electric kettle but I don't mind. You spotted our cat tea cosy! It was a gift a few years ago based on our old cat. I like having it on display.

      Delete
  3. Your kitchen looks beautiful. I am envious as it looks big enough to have a table in if you wanted one. Our kitchen is only small and an awkward shape. We still have the same kitchen units in that we had 25 years ago - they're not retro style - just very old and tatty now. Must do something about it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs lh. Our kitchen is a nice size but unfortunately not quite big enough for a table without making it very cramped. I am lucky to have nice units. It's about the only decent thing the previous owner did, the rest of the place was such a state!

      Delete
  4. This is a great kitchen. It's very authentic, serene, efficient and has a very clean yet homey style. I especially applaud the lack of stainless steel, granite, marble, and the like. I love your stove in the corner- I have never seen one like it. And I love Burt. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Thanks susanna for your lovely comment :)

      Delete
  5. How lovely to have your gran's Welsh Dresser in your kitchen. I love the clutter free look that you have, My kitchen counters have stuff ( not junk but my food processer, kenwood mixer etc) on them because I can't fit them into cupboards as my kitchen is small. I also have an untidy husband which doesn't help:) Burt looks a lovely cat and very much at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rowan, the clutter free look is definitely a conscious effort. Dh and I don't like clutter plus our home is so small, too much stuff makes it look even smaller. I'm grateful dh and I are fairly similar in that respect, I don't know what I'd do if he was a hoarder!

      Delete
  6. What a pretty light kitchen.
    I am like you & have very little modern electrical goods. We have a kitchenaid mixer, washing machine, fridge & freezer in the garage. We have an old 1950's fridge which I love & have recently bought a 1930's electric oven so we do not have to light the Esse when the weather gets very hot, I must put a photo of it on my blog. I am after like you an old 30's/40's kettle to go on top.
    Burt looks happy in the sun.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo I am so jealous of your vintage fridge and cooker! I would love a vintage cooker. . . . One day :)

      Delete
  7. Love the dresser - it is beautiful.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, it's my favourite piece of furniture :)

      Delete