Thursday, 25 June 2015

Hello, Welcome To My Home, Would You Like To Come In?


I have been inspired in my latest post by one of my lovely readers who was asking about the interior of our home.  Our home is very small and simple.  It is a constant work in progress. It was in a bit of a state when we moved in and we've spent 5 years doing it up. We're not finished yet.  Our decor is also simple with mostly magnolia walls, but I will have some vintage wallpaper in the future, particularly in the bedroom which is next on the list. I am going to do a mini series showing each room in our home,  showing the furniture and telling you a bit about their stories as most of it is second hand.  

Let's start in the bedroom.  

We have a lot of furniture that belonged to my Grandma.  This is her dresser.  The dressing set on top I got at a charity shop.

This is our bed.  We bought the frame second hand,  someone was selling it outside their house.  

We have an original turn dial phone which is sat on an old coal store I use for storing bedding.  I have an old leather suitcase in front of it I use for storing paperwork.

We have a log burning stove.  This is our only form of heating the bedroom.  

This is very special to me.  This is hung above our fireplace.  It's the deed to a house in Stratford upon Avon from the 1700s. I bought it at a car boot sale. The back is also glass so we can see the signatures and wax stamps. I don't know the couple who's house it was but I love having something so old in my home. 


Dated 1705

It is signed on the back several times. 

I would love to know more about the couple but I have never had any luck with Internet searches. 


xGx

14 comments:

  1. I love your Grandma's dresser, it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your home is very nice, at least with painted walls it doesn't clash when you want to put up pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fire places but wouldn't want one in my bedroom. I grew up in a house with no heating at all in the bedrooms so that doesn't bother me. Do you use it much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sandy. Yes, we do use the log burner. I love snuggling down in bed while its crackling away :)

      Delete
  4. To have treasures from your Grandmother is truly precious, I have many items from mine & it makes us speak about her everything we use them. Even though the twins never knew her they feel like they did with her things.
    You are lucky to have a fire in your room, we have no heating in ours but it doesn't get to cold with the thatch roof over us.
    We have a dial phone too, I love the ring.
    The dead is just beautiful, such a special thing to have.
    We have all the old deads for our cottage dated back to 1741, one day I hope to go on Ancestry & do some research but it is finding the time. Deads have such wonderful writing on them don't they.
    I really enjoyed my trip around your bedroom, can't wait to see what room is next.
    Were abouts do you live in the South, we used to live in Essex many years ago.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle, I love the ring of our phone too! Although it takes so long to dial mobile numbers I quite often forget how far I've got when dialling the number and have to start again. . . . . . Sometimes twice! !

      Delete
  5. That 'dresser' is actually a Stag Minstrel (i.e. Stag the maker, Minstrel the design) tallboy. They also did a lowboy. I know this because this was part of our bedroom suite bought on the 6th June 1966. I know the date as it was 6.6.66. We loved it and I was sorry when the bedroom in our next house wasn't large enough for the entire suite and I gave the dressing table to my mother and, when she died, passed it to a friend. We still have the tallboy but after almost 50 years it had seen 'better days' and is now due for a paint job. The wardrobes were also parted with, and we have wall-to-wall cupboards instead. A mistake as they hold just the same amount of items. Stag was expensive furniture in its day, no wonder you love this piece of furniture. Proper cherry mahogany wood, and dove-tail joints.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, thanks so much for your post. My parents have some of the rest of the set, but it was too big for our home.

      Delete
    2. How lovely that your parents have the rest of the bedroom suite (we called them 'suites' in 'our' day; you played a 'set' at tennis, tee-hee!) It's very well-constructed furniture, proper dove-tail joints to the drawers and solid mahogany, no MDF. I hope you get many years' pleasure using your grandmother's tallboy.
      Margaret P

      Delete
  6. Ps We had a phone like that red one, only in a mustard yellow. I thought it was very smart! Much nicer than today's push-button thingies.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must be lovely to have some of your grandmothers furniture. Your phone is fabulous. X

    ReplyDelete