Friday, 1 May 2015

Can Rationing Help Us Save Money

I would like to start with some good news.  I have been offered 2 jobs this week and I have accepted one of them!  It's close to home, good hours and the team seem lovely.  

It's a position of less responsibility so it's less money but I really hope I will feel less stress and better quality of life. 

Because I will be earning less money I've been looking at our budget and looking at where we can save a bit of money.  I think we have definitely been saving money since rationing but I haven't been keeping as close an eye on the books as maybe I should have been.  As long as we end up at the end of the month with money in the bank I think we've done ok! I think I may like to have a rethink about the way I do our budgeting.  Any suggestions anyone? 

Back to rationing. As I've previously posted,  I shop locally, and I buy organic dairy and free range eggs. However,  shopping at independent shops isn't always as cheap as shopping in supermarkets.  So, this week I thought I'd do something different as an experiment.  This week I will do my rationing shop as cheaply as I can to see how cheaply it is possible for me to shop in this way.  

I have another reason for wanting to do my experiment.  This week Britain's fattest woman was rescued from her house.  She weighs 55 stone and the operation involved 2 cranes, 2 fire engines, 7 police cars and eleven medics.  These sort of stories sadly seem to becoming more and more common and when I read them one of the things that seems to be said is that healthy food is too expensive and junk food is cheap and easy.  I would like to prove that healthy unprocessed food can be both cheap and easy. 

Since I started rationing I have used my slow cooker so much for soups and stews and it couldn't be easier,  just put in the ingredients and leave it to do its thing! The diet isn't completely unprocessed but we definitely eat more veg. Our fruit options are apples and pears and I'm getting a bit bored with them to be honest.  I'm insanely excited that the early strawberries could be in the farm shop any day now!

So tomorrow I will shop as cheaply as I can and I'll post how I get on!

xGx

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new job! I wish you all the best, it sounds excellent.
    Pam in TX.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many congtatulations on the job offer. I hope it will ensure you get a better work/life balance. I will be reading with interest how you manage to reduce your food budget as it is always something I strive to do. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Summerdays. Budgeting for me is always a 'work in progress'! :)

      Delete
  3. Well done , just because you are not bringing in less money it doesn't mean you'll be worse off, I look at homemaking as a full time job and am watching every penny closely, good luck with it all x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope we can rejig the books and make simple changes to help balance the books :)

      Delete
  4. Well done on your new job, hope all goes well. Our budget planning is on my blog under labels - Our Budget - might have a few ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. I will definitely have a look at that :)

      Delete
  5. Many congratulations Gillie, I hope you will be very happy in your new job:) I'm sure it will be worth earning less money in exchange for less stress and a better quality of life:)

    ReplyDelete