Sunday, 10 May 2015

A Weekend With Friends And A Week 'Off Ration'

I've been off-line for a couple of days as we had friends staying for a long weekend.

It was great having people to stay and they've not been over since we moved so it was nice showing them the area. We went on some walks and had great fun on Saturday night playing games.

I knew I wouldn't be able to ration while they were up for a few reasons.  Firstly,  there wouldn't be enough food!, secondly K has a lot of food allergies so I was a bit stressed about shopping and trying to make sure there was plenty she could eat.  She's a lovely lady but I have only met her a couple of times before as it is Dh and S, who are the original friends and I have only met K a few times so I didn't really know what she liked and she can't eat gluten,  dairy,  eggs, onion,  garlic or leeks.  She is also quite fussy with food ( not in a nasty way- there's just lots of things she doesn't like) and I was really struggling to think what I could feed her.  I am always so grateful when friends come to visit us as we're off the beaten track and petrol is not cheap for people doing long journeys so I like people to feel welcome and accommodated.

I went shopping on Thursday and spent a long time scrutinising labels. I know they're not into particularly healthy food and I didn't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen so I made sure there was lots of snacky things and made sure there was a couple of places we could get food out if we wanted to. I also got in some Ginger Beer.  Dh and I don't usually drink apart from special occasions but I thought the chaps might like a drink so I bought some supplies.

We had a great weekend.  It felt weird to have 'junk' food in the house like crisps and ice cream (dairy free) although I did get things like local strawberries too. I did panic slightly and spend more than I wanted,  and a lot of it is left. So I sent K home with the left over snacks, drink, chocolate brownie (dairy and gf), and I've told dh I will only shop for fruit and veg this week and we'll eat what's left over the course of the week. I've eaten a very different diet to the one we've had over the past week and do you know how I feel?  Rubbish!  I feel tired,  lethargic and full even though I haven't had a proper lunch and it's 4:30pm.

As soon as they'd left Dh begged me to make him some 'proper' plain food. I made him tuna and rice which he declared 'amazing'.

I'm about to go to the fruit and veg shop to do a veg stew overnight tonight. I can't wait to get back to plain eating!  I've just told dh I'm doing a stew with barley and he has just done a 'victory jig' in the hall! ;)

I have a load of washing on, I'm about to do a big clean and although I had a fantastic weekend it feels good to resume normal life!

Hope you had a nice weekend

xGx

2 comments:

  1. It's lovely having people to stay and also quite lovely when they leave. I understand what you mean about returning to normal life. It sounds like you went out of your way to be accommodating. I do enjoy hosting people but I think I would have found catering for your friend rather difficult. It seems like you did a great job. X

    ReplyDelete