Monday, 20 April 2015

Making The Most Of 'Out Of Work' Time

I work full time. I work shifts and some weekends as well. My work is quite stressful and I feel a great responsibility in my job and sometimes it can be hard to switch off.

So, living a more traditional life outside of work helps me to switch off. When I leave work I like the feeling of being a wife and a homemaker and caring for my husband, our home and my friends and family. I like that I can come home from work aaannnndddd relax! Or at least try to. I have a 45 minute journey each way to and from work. On my journeys I either listen to the radio usually classic FM although I've been meaning to get some big band CD's as I have fond memories of listening to big band cassettes whilst on holiday with my Grandma and Grandpa. I do like some modern music but I also love some of the modern vintage groups like the Puppini Sisters as well as original vintage music. I also get audio Cd's from the library. These are great as I can get usually 6-18 hours of audio story for £2, hired for 3 weeks,  bargain I think! I recently got Bill Bryson,  The Life And Times Of The Thunderbolt Kid, which is funny recollections of the authors childhood growing up in the 1950s. I thoroughly enjoyed it and its a great way to wind down after work. 

It's really important for me to make the most of my 'out of work' time. It's not always easy. Sometimes, I get home in the evening and I just want to plop down and not do very much but mostly I try and get lots done both before and after work. I'm more of a morning person so I prefer the later shift. If I'm on the later shift I need to leave home about 10:30am. I get up early, make dh and myself breakfast then I get as much as I can done so that I can relax after work. This morning I made dh and I breakfast, cleaned the bathroom. put a load of washing on, washed the kitchen floor, cleaned the kitchen and made lunches for us both.

After work I picked up some bread and veg, made dinner (ploughman's), put on a stew in the slow cooker for tomorrow, put the washing away, washed up and tidied kitchen.

I made pear,  apple and rhubarb crumble.
Because I didn't want to use my butter ration for
the top I blended some dried fruit I found in my cupboard, apricots,  dates etx and whizzed it
With the oats and a bit of sugar and milk.
It worked really well and I will definitely do it again.

I also make time for my hobbies although this is usually more of a weekend thing. I enjoy reading, puzzling, tending my allotment, charity work, walks and crafting. Together, dh and I love antique and vintage shops and fayres, exploring towns and villages we've not been to before, playing cards and we also enjoy days away going to museums or historical sites or stately homes.

I hope to blog more about this in the future.

xGx



2 comments:

  1. I just discovered your blog and look forward to reading more. I'm interested in rationing, too, as well as overall frugal living. I'm in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks for finding my blog. I hope to do some frugal food posts in the future particularly about growing and harvesting our own food. :)

      Delete